Information about the bachelor thesis at the faculty CIW
!! Note change of statutes: For all bachelor theses, which start from 01.04.2020, a maximum processing time of 4 months applies !!!
A) Principles for the assignment "Bachelor Thesis
The bachelor thesis should show that students are able to work on a problem from their field of study independently and within 3 months according to scientific methods. The topic and the assignment must meet these criteria. The Bachelor Examination Board (BPA) should be able to identify which subject colleague can be appointed as second corrector. The assignment must be submitted to the BPA by the assignment writer no later than 4 weeks after the start of the work (printed on the assignment writer's institute letterhead). For papers written in English, the assignment must also be written in English.
Structure of the assignment:
- Name and field of study of the student
- Title of the assignment in German and in English
- Background/technical classification
- Scientific challenge/ problem definition
- Delimitation of the work to be carried out/ methods to be applied in logical order (approx. 1/2 page)
- Specific requirements for documentation and presentation of the work
- Start of the work
- Supervisor (and name of institution, if outside the faculty)
- Assigner and signature
B) Formal procedure for registering the Bachelor thesis with the Bachelor Examination Board
(Information for the person submitting the assignment)
- The person submitting the assignment gives the student the signed assignment form.
(1 x original, will be included in the thesis later, and 1 x copy).
- The supervisor or the institute secretariat sends the copy of the assignment together with the admission certificate (green) to the Bachelor Examination Committee (Mrs. Hofer).
- The documents should ideally be submitted BEFORE the work begins, but must be received by the BPA no later than 4 weeks after the work begins. The documents can also be sent to Mrs. Hofer by the secretary's office of the assignment writer.
- At the end of the processing period (3 months, maximum 4 months), the student hands in a copy of his/her bound Bachelor thesis to the Bachelor Examination Board.
- When handing in the Bachelor thesis, the student has to declare in writing that he/she has written the thesis independently and has not used any sources and aids other than those indicated by him/her, that he/she has marked the passages taken over verbatim or in content as such and that he/she has observed the statutes of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) for ensuring good scientific practice in the currently valid version. If this declaration is not included, the thesis will not be accepted. If an untrue statement is submitted, the Bachelor thesis will be graded as "not sufficient" (5.0). (SPO 2015, § 14 Para. 5).
The statement may read as follows:
"I truthfully affirm that I have written the thesis independently, that I have completely and accurately indicated all aids used, and that I have marked everything that has been taken unchanged or with modifications from the work of others, as well as that I have observed the KIT Statutes for Safeguarding Good Scientific Practice in the currently valid version."
"Declaration of orginality
I hereby declare that I have composed this paper by myself and without any assistance other than the sources given in my list of works cited. This paper has not been submitted in the past or is currently being submitted to any other examination institution. It has not been published. All direct quotes as well as indirect quotes which in phrasing or original idea have been taken from a different text (written or otherwise) have been marked as such clearly and in each single instance under a precise specification of the source. I am aware that any false claim made here results in failing the examination."
- Working with SPERRVERMERK: Please use the following template for blocking notes: Blocking Note Template.doc
- The supervisor(s) may provide their assessment on the Thesis Assessment Handout(Handout). This handout is for internal use ONLY and will not be sent with the completed initial assessment. Please also note that the grading scale on the Handout is only a suggestion.
- The evaluation period (first and second appraisal) must not exceed six weeks (see SPO § 14 Abs. 7).
- Note for the second reviewer:
The second reviewer signs the first review if he/she agrees with the grade of the first reviewer and sends the review with his/her original signature to the examination board and a copy to the assignment writer.
C) Opinion on the Bachelor thesis
- The supervisor can give his/her opinion on the handout for the evaluation of a thesis(Handreichung). This handout is for internal use ONLY and will not be sent with the completed initial evaluation. Please also note that the grading scale on the handout is only a suggestion.
- The assignment writer prepares a formulated initial appraisal(sample) and sends the original to the examination board and a copy to the second appraiser.
- The evaluation period (first and second expert opinion) must not exceed six weeks (see SPO §14 Abs.7).
- Note for the second reviewer:
The second reviewer signs the first review if he agrees with the grade of the first reviewer and sends the review with his original signature to the examination board and a copy to the assignment provider.