At the end of the study program, a final thesis is to be written. For the Bachelor's thesis three months are foreseen (maximum four months). Further details are specified by the Studies and Examination Regulations in § 14.
Registration of the bachelor's thesis
The bachelor's thesis may not be started until the prerequisites (at least 120 ECTS) have been fulfilled.
Fill in the Zulassungsbescheinigung and have it sent to Ms. Hofer via e-mail by the secretary's office of your supervisor together with the assignment signed by your supervisor. The documents should be submitted before the start of the bachelor's thesis, but must be send to the Bachelor Examination Board no later than four weeks after the start of the thesis.
The Bachelor Examination Board registers the bachelor's thesis in the Campus Management System and the student receives an e-mail. Please check the entered data, especially the title of the thesis, and report any errors to the Bachelor Examination Board (julia.hofer∂kit.edu).
Submission of the bachelor's thesis
On the deadline date, a printed copy of the bachelor's thesis must be submitted to the Bachelor Examination Board, Ms. Hofer, Building 40.12, Room -103. This copy will be forwarded to the second examiner after the submission date has been established. The official submission date is the date of submission to the Bachelor Examination Board.
Upon submission of the bachelor's thesis, it will be checked whether the assignment has been integrated in the front of the thesis and whether a signed declaration of originality (see "further information") has been included.
- The bachelor's thesis should not exceed 50 pages (without appendix).
- If the bachelor's thesis is written in English, the assignment and the declaration of originality must also be in English.
- The assignment with which the bachelor's thesis was registered with the Bachelor Examination Board must be included in the front of the thesis, as must any non-disclosure notice.
- Upon submission of the bachelor's thesis, students have to assure in writing that they have written the thesis independently and that they have not used any sources and aids other than those indicated, that they have marked all direct quotes as well as indirect quotes and that they have observed the Statutes for Safeguarding Good Research Practice at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology in the currently valid version. If this declaration is not included, the thesis will not be accepted. If an untrue statement is submitted, the bachelor's thesis will be graded as "not sufficient" (5.0).
- German: "Ich versichere wahrheitsgemäß, die Arbeit selbstständig verfasst, alle benutzten Hilfsmittel vollständig und genau angegeben und alles kenntlich gemacht zu haben, was aus Arbeiten anderer unverändert oder mit Abänderungen entnommen wurde sowie die Satzung des KIT zur Sicherung guter wissenschaftlicher Praxis in der jeweils gültigen Fassung beachtet zu haben."
- English: "Declaration of originality: I hereby declare that I have composed this paper by myself and without any assistance other than the sources given in my list of works cited. This paper has not been submitted in the past or is currently being submitted to any other examination institution. It has not been published. All direct quotes as well as indirect quotes which in phrasing or original idea have been taken from a different text (written or otherwise) have been marked as such clearly and in each single instance under a precise specification of the source. I am aware that any false claim made here results in failing the examination."
- The scope of the bachelor's thesis corresponds to 12 ECTS. Three months are scheduled for the writing of the thesis (maximum four months without an application for extension). If necessary, a justified application for extension can be submitted to the Bachelor Examination Board.
External bachelor's thesis
For external bachelor's theses, § 14 (2) of the Studies and Examination Regulations must be considered.