Profile subject choice
Students of the study programmes Chemical Engineering and Process Engineering and Bioengineering choose a profile subject in their fifth semester. The faculty informs about the choice of subjects and the formal procedures every year in early summer in an event together with the student council. Announcements can be found under News about studies and teaching or in the calendar of events on the CIW homepage.
List of selectable profile subjects
- Water quality and process engineering for water/wastewater treatment
- Food Technology
- Particle Technology
- Technical Thermodynamics and Refrigeration
- Rheology and product design
- Energy and environmental technology
- Thermal process engineering
- Mechanical separation technology
- Process development and scale-up
- Micro process engineering
Further information can be found in ILIAS.
At the end of the studies you have to write a thesis. This should take 3 (maximum 4) months.
Procedure for registering the Bachelor's thesis for students of the SPO 2015
(as of 21.01.2019)
Print out theadmission certificate (green) (please only use the form on this page!!), fill it out and have it sent to Ms. Hofer by the secretary's office together with the assignment signed by the assignment writer (copy) via in-house mail. The documents should be submitted BEFORE the start of the thesis, if possible, but must be submitted to the Bachelor Examination Committee no later than 4 weeks after the start of the thesis.
The Bachelor thesis will be registered in the campus system by the examination board and the student will receive a corresponding email. Please check the correctness of the entered data, especially the title of the thesis (appears so in the transcript) and report any errors to the BPA(julia.hofer∂kit.edu).
Please note: The Bachelor thesis may only be started when the requirements (at least 120 LP) have been fulfilled.
- The Bachelor thesis should not exceed 50 pages (without appendix).
- If the thesis is written in English, the assignment and the declaration of independence in the thesis must also be written in English.
- The assignment with which the Bachelor thesis is reported to the examination board must be included unchanged in the thesis (in the front), as must any blocking note.
- When handing in the Bachelor thesis, the students have to assure in writing that they have written the thesis independently and that they have not used any sources and aids other than those indicated, that they have marked the passages taken over verbatim or in terms of content as such and that they have observed the KIT Statutes for Safeguarding Good Scientific Practice in the currently valid version. If this declaration is not included, the thesis will not be accepted. If an untrue statement is submitted, the Bachelor thesis will be graded as "not sufficient" (5.0). (SPO 2015, § 14 para. 5).
- The declaration can read as follows: "I truthfully declare that I have written the thesis independently, that I have completely and accurately indicated all aids used and that I have marked everything that has been taken unchanged or with modifications from the work of others and that I have observed the KIT Statutes for the Safeguarding of Good Scientific Practice as amended.
- English: "Declaration of originality: I hereby declare that I have composed this paper by myself and without any assistance other than the sources given in my list of works cited. This paper has not been submitted in the past or is currently being submitted to any other examination institution. It has not been published. All direct quotes as well as indirect quotes which in phrasing or original idea have been taken from a different text (written or otherwise) have been marked as such clearly and in each single instance under a precise specification of the source. I am aware that any false claim made here results in failing the examination."
- The scope of the Bachelor thesis corresponds to 12 credit points. The duration of the thesis is three months (maximum four months without an application for extension). In addition, a justified application for extension (SPO 2015, § 14 para. 6) can be submitted to the Bachelor Examination Board. Valid reasons can be e.g.: illness, failure of the experimental apparatus, delivery difficulties, etc. Applications must be submitted to the Bachelor Examination Committee.
- In the case of external Bachelor theses, the examination regulations (SPO 2015, §14 (2)) must be observed with regard to the assignment provider.
- One copy of the thesis must be handed in to Ms. Hofer, Building 40.12 by the deadline. This copy will be forwarded to the 2nd examiner for the preparation of the second opinion after the date of submission has been determined.
In case of queries: Bachelor Examination Committee, Ms. Hofer
External Bachelor Thesis
Further forms and information sheets for students of the SPO 2009 and 2012 respectively
- Form "Bachelor Thesis in the Study Programmes Bioengineering and Chemical Engineering/Process Engineering" (.docx)
- Leaflet for the form "Bachelor thesis in the study programmes Bioengineering and Chemical Engineering/Process Engineering" (.docx)
- Green slip from the Student Services (PDF)
- Leafletfor external th eses (PDF) (English Version: Information on graduation theses written at external institution (PDF))