Information about the master thesis at the faculty CIW
A) Assignment "Master Thesis"
The Master's thesis should demonstrate that students are able to work independently on a problem from their field of study within 6 months using scientific methods. The topic and the assignment must meet these criteria. The Master's Examination Board (MPA) should be able to identify which subject colleague can be appointed as second corrector. The assignment must be submitted to the MPA by the assignment writer no later than 4 weeks after the start of the work. The format is the KIT letter format of the assignment writer. For papers written in English, the assignment must also be written in English.
- Name and field of study of the student
- Title of the paper in German and in English
- Background/subject classification
- Scientific challenge / problem statement
- Delimitation of the work to be carried out / methods to be applied in logical order (approx. 1/2 page)
- Specific requirements for documentation and presentation of the work
- Start of the work
- Supervisor (and name of institution, if outside the faculty)
- Assigner and signature
B) Registration of the Master's thesis with the Master's Examination Board
Information for the Assignor
- The assignment writer or his/her secretariat sends the original signed assignment together with the admission certificate submitted by the student to the Master's Examination Board (Ms. Benoit, Building 40.51, Room 304).
- The documents should preferably be submitted BEFORE the start of the assignment, but must be received by the Master's Examination Board (Ms. Benoit) no later than 4 weeks after the start of the Master's thesis.
- The student will receive the original of the signed assignment (will later be included in the master thesis).
- At the end of the processing period (6 months), the student hands in a copy of his/her bound Master's thesis to the Master's Examination Board (Ms. Benoit, Building 40.51, Room 304).
C) Expert opinion on the Master's thesis
- The supervisor can give his/her assessment on the Handreichung zur Bewertung einer Abschlussarbeit(Handout). This handout is for internal use ONLY and will not be sent with the completed initial evaluation. Please also note that the grading scale on the handout is only a suggestion.
- The assignment writer prepares a fully formulated first evaluation report (Sample) and sends the original to the examination board and a copy to the second reviewer.
- The evaluation period (first and second appraisal) must not exceed eight weeks (see SPO §14 Abs.7).
- Note for the second reviewer:
The second reviewer signs the first review if he agrees with the grade of the first reviewer and sends the review with his original signature to the examination board and a copy to the assignment provider.
D) Declaration of independence
When handing in the Master's thesis, the student has to declare in writing that he/she has written the thesis independently and has not used any sources and aids other than those indicated by him/her, that he/she has marked the passages taken over verbatim or in terms of content as such and that he/she has observed the statutes of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) for ensuring good scientific practice in the currently valid version.
If this declaration is not included, the thesis will not be accepted. If an untrue statement is submitted, the Master's thesis will be graded as "not sufficient" (5.0). (SPO 2016, § 14 para. 5).
The statement may read as follows:
"I truthfully affirm that I have written the thesis independently, that I have completely and accurately indicated all aids used, and that I have marked everything that has been taken unchanged or with modifications from the work of others, as well as that I have observed the KIT Statutes for Safeguarding Good Scientific Practice as amended from time to time."
"Declaration of originality
I hereby declare that I have composed this paper by myself and without any assistance other than the sources given in my list of works cited. This paper has not been submitted in the past or is currently being submitted to any other examination institution. It has not been published. All direct quotes as well as indirect quotes which in phrasing or original idea have been taken from a different text (written or otherwise) have been marked as such clearly and in each single instance under a precise specification of the source. I am aware that any false claim made here results in failing the examination."
E) Blocking notice
Please use the following official KIT template for blocking notes: Blocking Notice Template.pdf