Formal steps towards a doctorate
Application for acceptance
- The certificate of registration with KHYS - Karlsruhe House of Young Scientists (http://www.khys.kit.edu/khys_registrierungsportal.php)
- A current curriculum vitae of the candidate
- A written declaration according to Annex 5a (PDF) of the doctoral regulations
- A written doctoral agreement (see http://www.haa.kit.edu/downloads.php (Intranet)) between doctoral candidate and supervisor (obligatory since 01-01-2015)
- A certified copy of the degree certificate with a transcript of grades (the overall grade must be 2.5 or better)
- Certificate of equivalence (International Students Office), if the degree was obtained at a foreign university
- A certified translation of the degree certificate
- Conversion of grades into the German grading system
The acceptance as a doctoral candidate is initially for three years. In agreement with the supervisor, doctoral candidates can apply for a one-year extension.
Please send all documents by internal mail to the dean's office, building 40.12, Attn: Ms. Schweppenheiser.
- By beeing accepted as doctoral candidate at KIT, the applicant is automatically a member of the conervsion of doctoral researchers of the KIT Department of Chemical and Process Engineering and can subscribe to its mailing list (https://www.lists.kit.edu/sympa/info/ciw-docs).
Did the Doctoral Admissions Committee impose conditions when you were accepted as a doctoral candidate?
If that is the case, the following formal procedure applies for the conditional examinations:
- Registration for the examination at the institute
- Complete the form "Auflagenprüfung".
- Hand in the completed form at the institute before the examination or bring it to the examination (depending on the agreement with the lecturer).
- After the exam, the examiner sends the form to Ms. Schweppenheiser (Dean's Office).
Extension of the doctorate period
Extension of the acceptance
When your acceptance expires after three years, you can apply for a one-year extension in agreement with you doctoral supervisor.
- For that, you have to obtain your supervisor's consent to an extension (see template) and send the signed document to the dean's office before the deadline expires.